Italian prosecutor admits murder threat stalking woman was underestimated


MILAN (AP) — An Italian prosecutor acknowledged Wednesday that the threat that a 26-year-old pregnant woman was stabbed to death in her home may have been underestimated by authorities who failed to take action against the ex-boyfriend now suspected of murder. . His.

Prosecutor Marco Martani told reporters that the victim, Vanessa Ballan, had filed a complaint against suspect Bujar Fandaz on October 26, after he climbed over the gate in an attempt to break into her house with his partner and the 4-year-old. old son, as well as a series of other attacks.

Authorities searched the man's home the next day, after which "there were no incidents of harassment, approaching, threats," Corriere Della Sera quoted Martani as saying. "The matter was described as not urgent, which unfortunately turned out to be unfounded."

He said authorities lacked the clues needed to take further action. "The only measure that could have prevented the aggression would have been preventive detention, a provision for which there were not sufficient elements," Martani said.

Prosecutors said the attacker used a hammer to break a window to break into Ballon's home near Treviso, north of Venice in the Veneto region, on Tuesday. Ballan, who was alone at the time, was stabbed at least seven times. A knife, believed to be the murder weapon, was found in the victim's kitchen, and police recovered a bag containing a hammer, at least one more knife, and other tools used for the burglary from the suspect's residence.

political cartoon

Fandaj, a Kosovar national living in Italy, was arrested late Tuesday night at his home in a nearby town.

The love affair between the two started last year and ended in the summer. Prosecutors said the threats began soon after and he began appearing frequently at the supermarket where she worked as a cashier.

Ballan's murder comes just a month after Italy was shocked by the murder of a 22-year-old man Giulia Cecchettin, She was found dead in a ditch in a remote area of ​​the Alpine foothills in the Veneto region, her throat cut. She went missing after meeting her ex-boyfriend for burgers. he was arrested in germany He remains in an Italian prison pending further charges.

Cecchetti's father, Gino, at his funeral Men urged to become "agents of change" In a culture that "values ​​women's lives less," she urges them "not to turn away in the face of signs of violence, even the slightest."

According to the Interior Ministry, Cecchettin was among 102 women murdered in Italy through mid-November this year, more than half of whom were committed by current or former intimate partners. Updated figures were not immediately available.

Copyright 2023 The associated Press, All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.



Source link

Leave a Comment