1 dead, 6 injured as e-bike battery catches fire in Bronx apartment building


NEW YORK (AP) — One person has died and six others were injured in a fire caused by an exploding electric bicycle battery at a New York City apartment, authorities said Monday.

A fire department spokesman said the fire broke out in a 10th-floor apartment of a public housing complex in the Bronx around 7 p.m. Sunday.

One person was taken to hospital with serious injuries and later died, the spokesman said. Two others suffered serious, life-threatening injuries and four others suffered minor injuries, he said.

Fire marshals determined that the fire was caused by the e-bike's lithium-ion battery, department officials said.

political cartoon

New York City has seen hundreds of fires In recent years it has become associated with batteries powering electric bikes and scooters. City officials have blamed off-market batteries and chargers for many of the fires and have lobbied the federal government to strengthen regulations governing the sale of e-bikes and batteries.

Copyright 2023 The associated Press, All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.



Source link

Leave a Comment