Live Updates | Gaza death toll exceeds 26,000 as Israel awaits UN Court ruling on its offensive


The International Court of Justice was established read your decision There was discussion on Friday about whether Israel should be ordered to halt its offensive in Gaza as the Health Ministry announced that the death toll there had risen to more than 26,000 since the start of the Israel-Hamas war.

South Africa accused Israel of genocide and asked the court in The Hague, Netherlands, to grant interim orders, including that Israel halt its offensive in Gaza. Israel immediately rejected the filing and asked the court to dismiss the case.

Ministry of Health Gaza said on Friday that 26,083 people had been killed and more than 64,400 wounded in the enclave since the October 7 attack on southern Israel, when Gaza militants killed about 1,200 and took about 250 hostage. Had made it.

Gaza's health ministry said on Thursday that Israeli firing attacked a crowd of people At least 20 people were killed and 150 injured while waiting for humanitarian aid at an intersection in Gaza City on Thursday. The Israeli military says it is looking into the reports.

political cartoon

Health ministry says more than 26,000 people have died in Gaza since Israel-Hamas war began

RAFAH, Gaza Strip – The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza said Friday that the number of Palestinians killed in Gaza since the start of the Israel-Hamas war has risen to more than 26,000.

The ministry said the total number of dead was 26,083, with 64,487 Palestinians injured since the war began on October 7. The ministry did not distinguish between combatants and civilians in the death toll, but said the death toll was two-thirds. There were women and children.

Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qidra said in a statement that 183 people were killed and 377 others were injured in the past 24 hours.

Israel's heavy ground and air attacks during the nearly 4-month-old war have devastated large parts of Gaza. The conflict began on 7 October when Hamas militants attacked southern Israel, killing about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting about 250.

South Africa issued a statement ahead of the International Court of Justice's interim ruling on Friday

Cape Town, South Africa – South Africa's Foreign Ministry said in a statement that it was demanding an interim decision that "Israel immediately ceases its military operations in Gaza, takes appropriate measures to stop the genocide of Palestinians, "Ensure that the displaced return to their homes." and access to humanitarian assistance, including adequate food, water, fuel, medical and sanitation supplies, shelter and clothing.

The statement late Thursday also said Israel should "take necessary steps to punish those involved in the genocide and preserve evidence of the genocide." Israel has denied the allegations of genocide.

South Africa will be represented at the decision in The Hague by Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor, who spoke by phone with United States Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Thursday, according to the State Department. State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said Blinken talked about the need to protect civilians in the war in Gaza and ensure humanitarian assistance to Palestinian civilians while working toward lasting regional peace "will ensure Israel's security." and pursues the establishment of an independent Palestinian state.” ,

"The Secretary reaffirmed support for Israel's right to ensure that the terrorist attacks of October 7 are never repeated," Miller said.

Copyright 2024 The associated Press, All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.



Source link

Leave a Comment